Tech Staff Meeting Notes September 7, 2017

The top priority is always repair of down stations.
NM problem stations
ET problem stations

Duty Table updated June 2014


News & Highlights

The CERI General Meeting will be Monday Sept. 25 at 2:30p in the seminar room.

NetOps IX Organizing committee will have its first telecon this afternoon. Date and location TBD but sometime late winter or early spring. Will most likely focus on AQMS/Digital/Data processing and analysis.

N4 discussion

We have two eyewash stations in use. They should be operated/flushed once each month prior to the staff meeting. McGoldrick will take care of this.

Need to update our Emergency Contact list for chemical storage areas and include cell phone. Chris will remain primary and Jim secondary. Chris will update and send to EH&S.

We have several how-to documents and need to make better use of the wiki that John set up.

Development continues between VLF and Francis on a 16-bit raspberry pi based ISIS sensor system with timing (DISIS?). Currently working on a ringserver.

PNSN developed an interface for the IRIS QC tool Mustang ( Its called mustangular and is on github

AG contract is approved and advance account is in place so we can resume expenditures.


The HUD grant include $75k for size portable stations. Cramer and Horton are the lead. Equipment is in house but the refteks need to be configured and hardware built up and wired and huddle tested. PI's would like a bar-code system. Mitch will meet with PI's to determine how this can be fit into the priorities noting that now through early November are prime field season weather and we're behind.


SIS is fully operational for Memphis stations. Now each person needs to keep it up to date for equipment for which they are responsible (from the June 2014 Duty Table):

Make sure Mitch gets an email for any equipment change that will generate a SIS update. Philip Crotwell has an app that let's you do updates on your phone.


After servicing each DBB repeater with a fine tooth comb, aligning dishes, replacing old connectors, etc its working well from CERI to NMAD. The MKTA link still has trouble. There is a very large newly built pair of silos close to the path though not in it. Dave thinks there might be issues with the radios because the receive strength is high but we don't have the bandwidth we should. He's going to try swapping them out.

PC's at mttn and hpnc have "puffy caps" and need to be replaced.


NM Down

Misc Problems
CPAR.EHE see image
HOVM.EHZ see image
RVAR.EHE see image
BLAR.EHN see image
BETM -spikes

AG Down

Low solar dropouts have several different sources though common problem is an extraordinarily overcast January. Other factors include mis-wiring, ISIS3 xmiters draw more power (so need more solar), AGM's have problems with low power charge, etc. All but three stations are done.

Have a site for MORT2 about 10' from the original.

There was an email discussion on the history of OXF which led to digging up the MOU from 1993. Mitch checked with Dave Wilson at ASL and it may be possible to replace the MOU, which is endorsed at a fairly high level within USGS, with a "station agreement" which is less formal.

I40 Bridge comms.
Received radios for some links. Need to reestablish contacts with law school and get that link going. Need to get a firewall for aztnworm.

NODE Tasks



Finish siding replacement on equipment hut. Done, it will last until Jim's retirement no sooner than ten years from now. No. Sooner. Jim.

Put an iboot at MKTA?

Getting interference at the node causing spikes in CPAR, LVAR, LRAR, and TYAR. Receivers have not been aligned for 20 years. Six recievers were replaced. They will be refurbished and realigned to replace six more. Need to do this for all of MKTA and NMAD receivers (LNXT are all mostly already done). Done.

Replace ABB Xmitter at MKTA. Done.


The money-pit governor repair, load bank test and service completed(engine/gear case oils changed & belts replaced). 9/5/17


Need to tune the NMAD node receivers (its been a couple decades).

AZTN/HDBR: Need to pull the 200' sensor at the weigh station. Probable water damage.


Roof repair, missing skylights, on the lean-to. Done.

Flooding in the expansion space has become a problem. A Workorder was submitted and P-plant engineers were on-site to assess the problem. The most likely solution will be a retention wall and removal of material to make the foundation above grave. There are several open work orders. Jim will make a prioritized list and speak with zone supervisor.


CVVA needs a new flash card. Steve needs another basalt for a day to configure the new card. NAIT has a bad channel. We'll get a replacement for NAIT, and use the the old NAIT hardware to configure the flash, then send the card to John for installation at CVVA. Steve will have this ready early next week (9/12).

Replacement station for GTTN and RBNC being evaluated and permissioned for Southern Highlands Science Learning Center at Purchase Knob (MaggieValley), a part of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. John found a possible new site with line of site to English Mountain. Need to see what resources are on the Mountain.

Need to remove antennas, coax, and any other hardware from the tower at Greentop. John and Chris will schedule a trip.


DYTN.EH* - sporadic- down this morning
LRVA - sporadic -down this morning

Misc Problems
CPCT.HN* see image
ASTN.HNN see image
VHTN.EHZ low gain on vertical

CPCT: New cables show the sm sensor has a bad channel and needs to be replaced.

GMG has had a power upgrade, new batteries, new solar contoller, and better surge suppression. And it still went down on 1/18. James can get to the radio at the station which is on a separate power feed than the reftek. Jim will send a new BC10 and John will investigate.

John's updated todo list .


Current camera is not compatible with any current browser. John will see if utility will provide a new one.

Improve RCGA AC power and perform maintenance work on shed.

Move PMTN due to excessive noise and vandalism. The trees at Lone Mountian are too tall to get a signal out. Looking for an alternate site.


New plan for GFM is to keep it at existing location and convert to digital with a trillium compact which enables using the existing vault thereby minimizing the amount of hardware and supplies that need to be hiked in.


WMTN pit needs to be moved due to erosion.

CPRT comm reconfig. John says, "CPRT is going through the Senior Center at Corryton (cort). We removed everything from svfd an everything but what is on the tower at gttn. cort is indeed using dynamic addressing but data is flowing. Greg Hill the director at the senior center is supposed to be contacting his IT person to see what can be done. I left a message for Greg last week but still haven't heard back. I want to get Greg's IT guy in direct contact with either Steve or James so they can figure it all out."


CVMS has intermittent connection problems with wireless. Its hardwired for now but the wireless needs to be replaced to preserve electical isolation between the building and vault.

AG Network

HHAR repair and Peel Ferry, AR real-time portable. Week of 9/11.


The FDL wiki is here:


The seisnet group on umdrive is at You will need your uuid and password.

The seisnet wiki is at You will need your uuid and password.