Tech Staff Meeting Notes February 2, 2005

Current Top Priorities are:GPS, Station Maintenance, TZTN

Note, we have too many Bob's, John's and Chris's so I will begin using last names only.

Note 2, Withers neglected to verify that the polycomm phone would be available (it wasn't) so Parker and Wurth weren't able to join this meeting.

Note 3. We now have four levels of priority.
PrioritiesWish to try to get these done before the next meeting (yeah right)
Second TierFit this in too if an opportunity arises. May be good to do instead of priorities but check with Mitch. Likely to be a priority in a previous and/or subsequent month
As Time PermitsFit these in when you can but not instead of first or second priorities
OtherStuff we hope to get to and don't want to forget about


We will be including Smalley and Davis on invitations to staff meetings to make sure GPS gets the attention it needs.
Reelfoot. Ready for reinstall. Smalley will check with TDOT aviation to get a key and to verify that the building remodel is to a state where we can reinstall. Alternatively, we'll need an external cabinet and all the frills that go with that.
Troy. Davis installed an internet ready receiver. Need to get ethernet to the receiver via a set of wireless radios. Filipcic will go with him on a recon and McGoldrick will join them later if conduit etc needs to be run.
Mineral Area College. Need to replace it with an IP ready receiver. Davis will verify with their IT that we're allowed.
Davis has a contact for a possible site for the long awaited eastern hardrock site. A school in New Johnsonville.


Need to find out when to do these.
Began swapping all sensors; Filipcic is taking the lead and keeping records. First 3 went to Wurth. While we don't need to go out of our way to get this done, we do need to make sure it keeps rolling and gets done in a reasonable amount of time; presumably within 6 to 12 months depending on the amount of time between sending to DTA and getting new set. Withers will find out who is paying for all this shipping.

Routine Maintenance. Holly's list contains the stations that are not operational. Its a month old so may be out of date.

SWET hardware needs replacing. Withers will contact Benz to see what if any upgrade plans need to be incorporated into getting this station back online.

House 2 panel. McGoldrick will begin tracing down circuits. This will be a weekend job to minimize disruption.

Second Tier Priorities

Rough in went well. Installed pad, VSAT post, and box at the barn. Ran the wires down the hill, and installed the sensor pads (hole through the plate for the episensor may be too big). Episensor should arrive in Golden in a week or so?????? Then when we get it we can do the mockup and arrange the final install trip with Jim Allen (to orient the VSAT). Withers will give RNC2 software and ip numbers to Filipcic for installation on a laptop both for the mockup and in case there are comm problems with Golden during installation (at least we'll be able to make sure everything up to the VSAT is working).

I-40 Bridge. Bollwerk was unable to see any of the recorders on his last trip. There are many details to wrap up both on the bridge and at AZTN. Need to keep in touch with TDOT for access opportunities.

BB network upgrade. Radios are supposed to ship in a week. Gee, where have we heard that before. Great deal of planning and development to do prior to installation.

FDL. Not much to report. JF will get with Horton for rapid deployment improvements.

CVTN and ASAR optical isolation. Need to upgrade to year 3 hardware. Hardware ready. Filipcic needs to install.

Blohole tree fell down. Reckon we really do need to reinstall now.

As Time Permits

Battery charging station. Need a hood. What to do about a body wash?

Cowcamps pit is done. A tower is being constructed at the top of the mountain that have handshake permission to get on.

Spare keys for new pickup. Mac is looking into it.

Pressure wash and paint MKTA equipment hut.

Be sure to tell Withers as things get completed on this link to Greg's list.


FDL flooding. P-plant is allegedly on this.

MPHB. Withers needs to determine current orientation so we can pull it and orient correctly. Helicorders look strange. Need to verify the data.

BB Test Facility. Need to install wiring and electronics.

Timing. Steiner has an easy way to generate a datastream that goes high when lock is lost. Need a mask to decide what streams to use. Need mechanism to produce alarms. BB stations more difficult. How do we automate the status stream or even get it back to Memphis for logging? (Save it to file with Scream?). Note, new version of firmware sends status to both flash and stream. Hence, information will be in gcf2ew logs, but how do we monitor that? Maybe not a huge deal with broadbands since both Bollwerk and Brewer regularly monitor. Would still be good to have a record though.

North Carolina station refurbish. Keep node at LRNC. Modify to be the same as a New Madrid node and minimize internet bandwidth required.

VBMS. Proposal is submitted.

PII gain channels on helicorders. Done.

long term routine calibration effort. Need to balance ideal with practical.