Tech Staff Meeting Notes August 19, 2016

The top priority is always repair of down stations.
NM problem stations
ET problem stations

Duty Table updated June 2014


News & Highlights

Jim and Dave will be attending NetOpsVIII in Pasadena on October 11-12. More info here:

James and John are making progress on SIS. After initial load of dataless, need to schedule a training session.


We have an obsidian to replace the CMG5TD at NMEM.


It's been very quiet lately so this list most likely not have all the problems on it.

NM Down

NM Misc

AG Down

AG Misc

WYBT was vandalized for the second year in a row. Chris got it going temporarily. Need to revisit and harden.

MORT is closed. Need to look for a compromise site to fill the hole left by it and HAWT. Needs to assume flooding. Not a top priority at this time.

Have five new ISIS3 upgrades ready to go that will complete the NMAD node. Three more are on order.

Sensor upgrade on the I40 Bridge is scheduled for the week of Aug 29.

Granite HD2 from the I40 Bridge is in house with a bad flash card. Steve is getting an industrial grade replacement with the appropriate Kinemtrics image. He'll obtain several additional industrical grade cards to flash the image too. The recorder will be replaced when we do the instrument replace later this summer.

There was an email discussion on the history of OXF which led to digging up the MOU from 1993. Mitch checked with Dave Wilson at ASL and it may be possible to replace the MOU, which is endorsed at a fairly high level within USGS, with a "station agreement" which is less formal.

NODE Tasks

Steve asked about replacing all node disks with solid state disk. Funds are available. Steve will get an estimate.

All nodes are due a firmware upgrade that will sufficiently change things such that the the initial upgrade and configure should be done at CERI, then swap hardware at the node.

John checked other networks plans to replace Windows digiziting boxes and found none. NC has migrated to the NI X-series boards and adsend does work with it though its still on MS Windows. John will try to find out which specific board and OS is used.

DBB: Move the DBB link at CERI from the west end of 3892 to the east side of 3904 and eliminate the thin-wire. Tower is up to test the waters.



The generator at LNXT (now officially known as The Money Pit) has a bad transfer switch. Transfer switch is installed but current turned off. Gas leak is fixed new guage is installed, and tank is full. Can now turn the generator back on.

Uverse is likely available at the lnxt node. Steve will investigate to see if its cost effective to upgrade from dsl. We don't need the band width but service for dsl will likely continue to deteriorate.




Flooding in the expansion space has become a problem. A Workorder was submitted and P-plant engineers were on-site to assess the problem. The most likely solution will be a retention wall and removal of material to make the foundation above grave.


We discovered that most of the ISIS4 packages have a wire reversal that inverts the orientations. All but two ISIS4 stations are impacted (RCGA and DSTN). John will visit and repair each station. John will also create a spreadsheet that lists each station, when the ISIS4 was intalled and when it was repaired so that Mitch can correct the orientations in the metadata.

Replacement station for GTTN and RBNC being evaluated and permissioned for Southern Highlands Science Learning Center at Purchase Knob, a part of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Noise study picked up compressor noise from a nearby air quality station. Need to add isolation mounts and test farther away. We had to return the compact so will need to use a 6TD instead. We need this cell modem back by June. Noise test to begin tomorrow 5/4.


Data taken from last nights teleseism: /gaia/smeagol/dat2/Working/ET/201608/20160819_074530_MAN


Misc Problems
GBRT.EHE - spikes
BCRT.HN* - spikes
FPAL.HHE - John's updated todo list .


Communication from starworm to Etowah Utilities is in production. Steve will call to discontinue dsl at athn node.

Improve RCGA AC power and perform maintenance work on shed.

Move PMTN due to excessive noise and vandalism. The trees at Lone Mountian are too tall to get a signal out. Looking for an alternate site.


HPNC node is up. Need to fix Win7 to allow earthworm commands (e.g. status, restart etc) from the ssh command line. 9 channels(GFM, MGNC, and DSNC) are being exported over a cell modem temporarily until internet is established. Still waiting on completion of communcations to get on local internet. We need this modem back before June 30. John has a Thursday 5/5 meeting to do this.

Upgrade remaining High Peak Node Stations from L4-3D's to S-13's. At least one bad component in L4-3's at CCNC, TVNC, TRYN.

GFM2 is good to go. It will be a reftek with S-13's. Do we need to take student volunteers to help with the GFM decommission?


WMTN pit needs to be moved due to erosion.

CPRT comm reconfig. John says, "CPRT is going through the Senior Center at Corryton (cort). We removed everything from svfd an everything but what is on the tower at gttn. cort is indeed using dynamic addressing but data is flowing. Greg Hill the director at the senior center is supposed to be contacting his IT person to see what can be done. I left a message for Greg last week but still haven't heard back. I want to get Greg's IT guy in direct contact with either Steve or James so they can figure it all out."


Bob has funding for a new CUS station. Deadline is Aug 31 for obligation of all funds. It will be a drill braced monument rather than the piling style. MODOT already has a good quality station near Hayti so Chris is now looking at Ridgely. Site A is a big NO. Need to continue the search.

CVMS has intermittent connection problems with wireless. Its hardwired for now but the wireless needs to be replaced to preserve electical isolation between the building and vault.

Stations down and need a visit: PGTV, HCES, and CJTR.

AG Network

Z41A is online with AG. Vault leaks so did not install sm sensor. Need to fix the leak and install the sm vault inside the TA vault.

Pulled trillium/reftek from X702. Need to install an AGS 6TD in its place.


Chris is helping Cramer with a geode experiment near Sikeston in mid-July.

Needs some clean up.

The FDL wiki is here:


The seisnet group on umdrive is at You will need your uuid and password.

The seisnet wiki is at You will need your uuid and password.