Tech Staff Meeting Notes August 10, 2009

The top priority is always repair of down stations.
NM problem stations
ET problem stations

The task list updated February 6, 2009 needs to be updated again. Note that everyone is still needed to work on essentially all tasks. There is however, a single person who is primarily responsible for each one. Mitch of course, is ultimately responsible for everything.


Repair down stations
AG Network survey
CVVA trigger upgrades
SM sample rate fix

News & Highlights

Jim is out until August 24. He strongly recommends that others do not try to rip their leg off.

The CERI welcome back lunch will be at noon on thursday August 27.

We should know what ARRA upgrades will be funded sometime the week of August 17.

The list of station outages became critically long. The meeting was cut short so Chris could head out to EBZ to fix the carrier for PWLA, SFTN, and EBZ. Jim will talk David through restoring ARPT and PPLM (ARPT is probably kudzu). That will put us back into a tolerable (though not optimal by any means) state.

Chris got PWLA/EBZ/SFTN going again.

Starting with the July set of notes, we're including software and computer items. These will be discussed in more detail at the next meeting. These are currently listed under CERI node tasks. It isn't complete but its a start.


Short Period & Broadbands

Holly's NM list:

Muted Amplitude

Isis Oxidation problem
WYBT.EHZ - and drifting

Strong Motions Stations down

Gain Channel problem


Several of the stations can get improved telemetry by transmitting directly to the node. The original configuration changed enough so that there is room in the band. Jim will investigate.

NODE Tasks


LNXT: Still need to tie generator status alarms into lnxtworm

NMAD: Repair barbed wire fence damaged by falling ice

AZTN: Upgrade PC and replace XLAK clock


DSL is installed at lnxt and bosewell. Steve needs to complete the config at lnxt. Boswell needs the hardware installed. Telecom said we're too far from the switch to get it at mkta and nmad--we had ISDN at those sites so Steve is checking directly with local provider and, failing that, will investigate other options (e.g. satellite).

Need to gather up a contact list (e.g. everyone's home phone, power companies, etc) and put it on webworm (password protected).


CVTN optical isolation. Need to upgrade to year 3 hardware.

RDST needs upgrade to year 3 hardware with router.

NAIT: Couldn't get the NWS cable modem to cooperate at NAIT (firewall?). Dean was going to ask Comcast about it and maybe get a new modem. Steve will follow up.

Need to complete firmware upgrade on CVVA. The facility changed hands. They are willing to let us piggy back on their internet and John is working out the technical details with them (i.e. which side of the firewall we'll be on, hopefully the outside).

Now that CMG5 triggers actually contain data, we need to tune the trigger level. Mitch sent explanatory info and guidelines to Al and Steve to tune.

SLU had trouble getting triggers from the 10sps datastream. They are having success creating 200sps triggers off the 100sps channel without excessive triggers (though I wonder what their levels are). The two newer CMG5TD's we got from ASL also don't trigger well off the 10sps datastream. Jim will investigate the feasibility of switching to the 100sps tap as the trigger source for the 200sps upgrade. Then Al will retune as above.

Most of the strong motion stations can run at 100 sps without any modifications. We will install a router on the few that have problems (RDST will be the test case). These (eleven of them) will also need year 3 upgrades. ARRA funds have been requested for this.

Recorders 1, 6, and 7 are in the shop for repair. Steve thinks they just need to be reformatted. Steve and David are working on getting them back in service so they can be resinstalled during the next lane closure. Al reports that of the remaining four, one is not associating.

Need to remove concrete forms and configure everything to the correct ip addresses, etc to get the data flowing to Boswell and on to CERI. Have a strong signal from HDBT. Need to determine what import machine and wsv all these data will be on. How do we trigger.

Mud Island vertical array is operational. Not really, functional is a better word until we can get it online to qc/vet data.


Holly's ET list:
TVNC (John has a replacement sensor)
SMNC (John has a replacement sensor)

Interference (added by Mitch)

Gain Channel problem
CCRT.EHG - is flat
ETT.EHG - is flat

GMG.EHE - not sure

Strong Motion Stations


RCGA charging circuitry at is old and primitive and in need of an upgrade.

GMG - Need battery box solar reg mounting plate and need to fuse the battery.


GFM The NC state park service is purchasing GFM. We already have a couple permissions from them and John initiated the paperwork for the GFM permission.

TRYN: the forest service wants to remove the tower. There will be a new 180' tower and we have permission to be on it. We also have permission to be in the building (rack mount only). Can we convert this station to AC?

SWET: Repaired but desparately in need of an infrastructure upgrade. We'll know what we're upgrading when the ARRA announcements are out.

CPCT: The aluminum enclosure with the GPS breakout board at CPCT is corroded, fragile, and needs replaced. Need to re-work lighting and pest chaser. John has a pest chaser and will use some landscape or pool hardware for the lighting. A new breakout and transient suppression enclosure is ready. Needs a locking tower box. This will also be upgraded to the standard bb.

FPAL The install went well and we got fantastic support from Christy Hardin, Rick Hardin, Tom Whitehurst and crew. Still needs to be backfilled around the vault. There is long period drift in both the broadband and strongmotion that is likely coming from thermal instability. This should clear up after the backfilling is complete. Unfortunately there is a problem with both broadband horizontal channels. They appear to center. A cal pulse looks scalloped or somewhat rectified. John will visit next week and check locking and the dm24 connectors.


James has a very nice SOH website at

Comm to McCarty is out. It appears to be an issue with the network at the school and a tech will be on site tomorrow to investigate.

Have permission to install freewaves at camp robinson so long as they don't interfere with anything currently operating (they shouldn't). Should be able to shoot to nearby EMA office--Ausbrooks is helping with the permission there.

Have a replacement antenna for RLAP from UNAVCO. If we can't break the choke ring free, we can just swap the electronics.

Troy (HCES) took a severe lightning hit or massive power surge. James replaced a bunch of stuff and got it going again. Mattioli co-located hardware is still fried.

Need to contact new owners (the water district) of the building at Miss. Co. Airport to refresh the permission. Chris contacted the county water dept will work with us any way they can. They also have internet on site there.

AG Network

Siting continues.

Greg determined that current draw should be about 675mA at 12.0 VDC assuming a 70% transmit ratio for the freewave. Two 55-60 watt panels should suffice and to allow for temps down to 10 degrees F, we should use four 105ah batteries to get 14 days backup power.



What to do with the Steiner brain dump DVD's?

Mitch made a seisnet group on umdrive. Go to You will need your uuid and password. There are several things on there including John's database. We can put contact info there too when its available. Only people in the seisnet group have access to this area. If you download something for update, don't forget to upload it again so that we all have the same version of the files.

The Oklahoma scream2scream connection doesn't seem to be as stable as we'd like so Steve is working with OGS to replace it with an ew export/import. The feed to NEIC is going but it would be good to verify with McManus at NEIC.

Rotational sensor is feeding an earthworm but still has IRIG crosstalk problem to fix. Its fine on an Oscope hooked to the output of the mux and looks fine in LabView. Its bad when viewed with wave_viewer. Need to see what the sac files look like to make sure it isn't just a wave_viewer feature.

Supply is checking the condition of Parker's old Suburban, Chris doubts it will run after a year sitting over there. He told her we would try to crank it up if needed. Looks like we could send old blue sometime soon. Maybe it would get on govdeals this year.

Pink Palace is working with Gary and Michelle on a new perc-like display area. We'll pull the receiver etc, when they start pulling out the old display (or sometime earlier if an opportunity arises).


Chris called P Plant electrical shop. They filled the generators soon after the outage. He said when there is a power failure as long as the generator is running that powers fuel tank pumps on campus they will bring fuel to keep us online. Chris will get all contact information posted near transfer switch and added to Jim's list.

3890 Power Chris is going to make a diagram for 3890. Good luck son.

3876 Power Chris is going to make a diagram for 3876. Good luck son.