Tech Staff Meeting Notes January 6, 2009

There is a new format for meeting notes. I will make notes based on what was discussed at the meeting. Those notes will be integrated with the list of problems and issues. They will be preceeded by the current priorities. So priority items will be listed twice: briefly in the list of priorities and again in the detailed notes.

The top priority is always repair of down stations.

It is an obsolete list that will be updated in January. The task list updated January 15, 2009. Note that everyone is still needed to work on essentially all tasks. There is however, a single person who is primarily responsible for each one. Mitch of course, is ultimately responsible for everything.



PWLA telemetry.

TA landowner list.

Plan for SWET upgrade.

Ft Payne station

SM trigger upgrades

SM sample rate fix


The PWLA telemetry is signficantly more degraded. We should be able to troubleshoot now.

The leap second over new year caused all the shortperiod waveservers to stop returning data. Holly caught it, Mitch flushed all the tanks, and things appeared to return to normal. Timing appears to be correct on all bb, sm, and sp but we need to be on the lookout for rogues. Other networks (i.e. PNSN and NCSN) had similar problems.

It isn't known if the vent holes in the closet door at gnarworm fixed the problem though we haven't had any trouble since. Should check the temp the next time someone is there.

We need a plan for adding strong motion to SWET. Will a CMG5TD fit in the vault with the CMG3? Do we need AC power and where will it come from? Should we switch to ethernet radios (currently have serial) and have a dual-port terminal server? Should we use the intuicom radios they use at UUSS? Can there be simplification and hardening of the current path through the bell tower? Can we move the PC in Bran's office to someplace more secure and inaccessible?

The microwave has a lot of trouble during the winter due to inclement weather. Bandwidth becomes significantly reduced and the resource is frequently unavailable. Mitch will reconsider Steve's suggestion to install dsl at mkta, lnxt, and nmad.

The gcf2ew processes on shakeworm are now replaced with scream/scream2ew on rhydra1.

CVVA needs a firmware upgrade.

Now that CMG5 triggers actually contain data, we need to tune the trigger level. Mitch will send explanatory info and guidelines to Al and Steve to tune.

BRBC is hooked into the GPS. Need to determine why we get reboots accompanied by power alarm off messages without preceeding power alarm on messages. John will visit and coordinate testing with Mitch.

Jim's Priorities (these are from December and need to be updated)

BHT was serviced and the tree was trimmed. We need to move this station and give it a proper mast.

Bacon Ridge serviced. Cut a link and added a CERI lock (again).

The retaining pond for the old generator doesn't seem to fill up with water anymore. Either someone is being diligent about draining out rainwater or there is a leak.

The leaves need to be cleaned out from the lean-to next to the FDL, from the stairwell at the back of 3904, and from the fenced in area of the generators and AC fans behind 3904.

Several of the stations can get improved telemetry by transmitting directly to the node. The original configuration changed enough so that there is room in the band. Jim will investigate.

Holly's list of problem stations:

ISIS Oxidation Problem




(PLAR note from last time retained only as a reminder for Mitch) The problem with PLAR appears to be cultural. Jim surmises there is a large motor or something nearby. The data are still useable but the noise threshold is about 4 times higher than normal and very peaked at 5 and 6 Hz. Need to record on a 6TD for an hour to verify that its real.

Replaced a dead battery at Rock City. It was only two years old. Charging circuitry is old and primitive and in need of an upgrade. Box needs a vent.

Need to schedule an ET trip for January.

CCRT - Needs a rebuild after a bad lightning strike.

GFM - Fixed the bad channel but still needs some work to repair storm damage. The NC state park service is purchasing GFM. We already have a couple permissions from them and John initiated the paperwork for the GFM permission.

GMG - Need battery box solar reg mounting plate and need to fuse the battery.

Steve and Al are setting up a feed of Oklahoma data to be forwarded to the NEIC. The scream2scream connection didn't seem to be all that stable and OKGS could use a better way to archive events before they leave the buffer. Steve will help them get ew going and then we'll use the ew export. We need to make sure to add relevant channels to the NEIC export when available and contact Dave Mason when they're going.

Rotational sensor is feeding an earthworm but needs a Steiner ADS2 unit to control noise and knock down crosstalk (esp the IRIG bleed).

The truck is here. Mac has tags, decals, rack, winch, etc in progress. The old suburban needs to be stripped and retired when the new one is ready.

Replace batteries in all XLAK clocks. Need to be careful so that earthworm doesn't see time jump around. (See Jim's priorities)

Most of the strongmotion stations can run at 100 sps without any modifications. We will install a router on the few that have problems (RDST will be the test case). We will also migrate the acquisition software from gcf2ew on anssworm to scream/scream2ew on a linux or ms server. The latter will facilitate stations maintenance without interrupting the data stream. (See Jim's priorities).

Need to complete firmware upgrade on 10 Memphis urban strongmo stations.

Need a new bottom air conditioner for mkta. Need new RF preamps, radio align, etc, etc at MKTA.
Need to swap out the old node computers at AZTN. Will XP do netbui with the bridge recorders (if so we could lose the windows 98 box at aztn)?

CVMS. The temp cover James made for the GPS enclosure is gone. We've been talking about making a combined cover for the CVMS and CVTN enclosures. he two are side-by-side and could easily be covered by something like a lean-to.
PTGV. The temp enclosure cover is still in place. Chris has been talking about making a more permanent one similar to the louvered cover we have at CERI and at STLE. Chris and Bob are still working out the details, namely how much it might cost. Chris also mentioned replacing the current enclosure with a larger one. We have a larger enclosure available in the Expansion Space should this come about.
CJTR. We're still waiting for a definite "yes" or "no" from Haydar about putting a PC there to call CJTR locally. Steve's going to get me an old GX1 to make into a Linux box for the job.
CSMS. The previous comments James made about a new department taking of the CSMS facilities, where our station is, are false. They're still waiting for money to start construction on the new CSMS buildings. We're stuck with them for a while longer. According to the locals, wi-fi is prohibited on-base (even though it's apparently available elsewhere on the base). There is no wi-fi close enough for us to use.
All H-beam monument Sites (CVMS, HCES, STLE, MAIR, MCTY, NWCC, RLAP, PTGV, PIGT). All sites using a deep-driven pile need to have some cover placed over the PVC surrounding the monument at the service. Chris and James discussed some options and he's looking at prices. Priority goes to schools or places where small kids could get twisted ankles or other injuries (HCES, CVMS, RLAP).
All Sites except NMKM, LCHS, CJTR, and MACC. All sites may need their enclosures re-painted, preferably white. MCTY, CVMS, HCES, and NWCC currently have yellow enclosures. Painting them white might help them stay cool.
MCTY. Struck by lightning. Receiver is at Ashtech for repair. Ashtech wants the antenna and choke ring too.

Fort Payne - John found a good spot with decent odds of a permission at Desoto state park in Alabama. John had to restart the permissioning process for the Georgia repeater. Mitch asked how much trouble it would be to be a broadband station. That would change the proposed telemetry path since it wouldn't need to go to a node but instead could go someplace local with internet. We don't want to delay so John will move forward on the Georgia repeater permission (for short period) but will hold out the possibility for future upgrade to broadband.

The recorder disks should be reformatted as a routine maintenance task next time access is available. The constant read/write to the fat file systems lead to fragmentation. Don't ya just love dos?
Lost contact with recorders 1, 3, and 6. Number 5 is unstable. Can reset all 7 recorders which implies the equipment enclosure at each node has power and that at least the reset radio and telemetry are working.

The communications path got complicated again. We need to install a wireless link to 2nd street (this is new hardware). We need hardware there to get on the TDOT fiber. Then we need hardware to make the link from Boswell to richardson. That link will be part of the CERI microwave network so we shouldn't need anything extra at Richardson other than the additional antenna and aironet (and power, yada, yada).

Mud Island vertical array is operational. Not really, functional is a better word until we can get it online to qc/vet data. Trigger levels on the strongmo need to be adjusted because the flash fills in about two weeks. One dm24 is at Guralp for repair. The sensor is in 3904/215E.

CVTN optical isolation. Need to upgrade to year 3 hardware. Hardware is ready.

Steve needs to speak with Dean Kemp at NWS. They are willing to let us piggyback on their cable internet (not

Lenox Agreement. Jim obtained contact info for the person Mitch needs to call>

FDL. CMG6 instructions are complete.
New firewire cables in progress.
New bags for CMG6 acquired.

There is SOH info superimposed on the pII gain channel. Jim and John will get the codes to Mitch who will investigate the feasibility of decoding software.

PEBM and HENM sometimes have telemetry fades. Should reevaluate comms.

Need to gather up a contact list (e.g. everyone's home phone, power companies, etc) and put it on webworm (password protected).

CPCT timing was repaired with a new old GPS pod (left over from the DM16's). The aluminum enclosure with the GPS breakout board is corroded, fragile, and needs replaced. Re-work lighting and pest chaser. John has a pest chaser and will use some landscape or pool hardware for the lighting.

3876 Power The power for the new lighting on the east side of the general parking lot to the west of CERI is coming from 3876. Chris will check it out to assess the added lightning hazard and see if anything can be done about it. Might be hard to do without the wiring diagram. Chris will make one if needed as time permits.

3890 Power Chris is going to make a diagram for 3890. Good luck son.

Inventory Apparently other networks are resisting and INV is only fully functional at NEIC. The dataless seed generation works well if you already have the ascii dataless and not at all if you don't. We might use datascope for this instead (talk about full circle--withers started that in 1997).

Pink Palace is working with Gary and Michelle on a new perc-like display area. We'll pull the receiver etc, when they start pulling out the old display (or sometime earlier if an opportunity arises).

The Transportable Array (TA) component of the U.S. Array observatory of the Earthscope Facility will be installed in the NMSZ in 2011 and permissioning in AR and MO will be the summer of 2009. We wish to provide a list of CERI partner landowners to USArray that are willing to host TA stations and, if possible, a list of landowners who are not willing to host stations. Mitch will supply Chris with a list of target locations (approximately 70km grid).

Mitch briefly reviewed the desired 106x6 network of desireable TA stations to adopt. These are the 106 TA stations within the ANSS RSN footprint for the NSMZ and WVSZ and the ETSZ and CSZ. The "by 6" implies three components for broadband and three of strongmotion. Considerable funds must be secured for the capitalization costs and for the long term operation and maintenance.