Tech Staff Meeting Notes August 8, 2007

Current Top Priorities are: Station Maintenance. Mud-Island. Two new GPS stations. (Also wish to get INV populated.)

There are four levels of priority.
PrioritiesWish to try to get these done (or make progress on) before the next meeting (yeah right)
Second TierFit this in too if an opportunity arises. May be good to do instead of priorities but check with Mitch. Likely to be a priority in a previous and/or subsequent month
As Time PermitsFit these in when you can but not instead of first or second priorities
OtherStuff we hope to get to and don't want to forget about

The task list was updated July 7, 2007 to incorporate some tasks previously performed by Dave Greganti. Note that everyone is still needed to work on essentially all tasks. There is however, a single person who is primarily responsible for each one. Mitch of course, is ultimately responsible for everything.

Greg's List is incorporated in these notes with somewhat less detail.


Station Maintenance, NMSZ
Holly's list from August 9 excludes that stations affected by the isis oxidation problem:

Several stations repaired. A bunch of single channel problems remain.
Note that disassembling the canisters fixes the strange ISIS problem most likely due to corrosion between the copper ground and the case (hence it is now referred to as the ISIS oxidation problem. Mitch asked if we should pull all the canisters and clean them up and remove the shaping filter while we're at it. Jim said that would take an enormous amount of time and that the percentage of stations with the problem is relatively small. It appears that it was the ones that got the upgrade during the most humid parts of the summer. Will table the global pulling for now.
Need a dual mux assembly or two. Have the AMUX64T's. Pat will build up the rest of the hardware.
Quote from Jim:

Chris has put 2 coats of "Kool Seal Elastomeric Coating" on the outside of the roof at New Madrid . We logged the temperature in the rack and on the inside of the roof from 24 July until 2 August a stretch of days where the outside temp's were in the mid to upper 90's. The temperature in the rack varied from 75 to 77 deg. F and the temperature of the the roof varied from between 72 and 84 deg. F. The AC temp. control was set in the mid rang so we still have the ability to remove more heat if we wish to drop the rack temperature.

Will still lose heat through the walls during the winter but we'll call that deferred maintenance for now.
MKTA needs an air conditioner in the doghouse.
Need a remote reset at lnxt. Current owner of the transmitter may not be installing a reset similar to what wkno had so we may need to install our own phone line. Steve suggested we get dsl while we're at it for a dbb backup but the cheap dutchman isn't ready to do that yet.
Need new RF preamps at MKTA and NMAD.
HENM and LPAR are dead. Could be radios.
PEBM and HENM sometimes have telemetry fades.
NMAD needs brush control when the leaves fall.

I-40 Bridge.
Boreholes are done. Hardware is ready.

Al determined that scream 4.2 and earthworm 7.1 work with the Mark III dm24's.
The channel bank for the weight station has a max operating temp of 105 Farenheit. Greg will ask to put in our own box with ventilation. Will still get plenty warm but Greg thinks it should be ok.
Bosell gets the companion channel bank.
The number 3 recorder keeps losing gps lock.
The recorder disks need to be reformatted. This can't be done remotely. The constant read/write to the fat file systems is going to make this reformatting something that needs to be done periodically. Requires physically going under the bridge to do it. Dont ya just love dos and obsolete hardware?
The wireless resets seem to be getting noisy making it more tricky than normal to reset.


We're in the process of getting James out of the station maintenance business. GPS stations will be treated as any of the seismic network stations. Mac will be the lead for routine maintenance. Data handling and processing is still done by Bob et al.

Greg is in charge of getting anything done to the GPS stations to Steinerize them. This is necessary to make sure we can maintain them without burning alot of time on reapplying bandaids. Note that they are in pretty good shape already. The primary hassle is communications.

Permission with TWRA to put up a 60 foort tower at New Markham is done. This will feed LCHS, NWCC, RLAP, and New Markham to the NMAD node. New Markham to NMAD will be a 2.4G aironet and more or less just be an extension of the DBB.
Can probably hit the lnxt node from STLE.
Not sure what to do about MAIR and CJTR.
Mitch noted that on the DBB, it is preferable to transfer less data more frequently that more data less often. This helps avoid longer burst periods that could slow down the real-time continuous seismic data. The GPS data bandwidth isn't large but if you burst 24 hours worth, it could cause a bunch of dropped seisnet packets.

James noted that the fans and filters need to be replaced at all sites. Crestview is still gettting warm. James suggested some conduit inside the box to suck the air from the top rather than the bottom. Could also, or instead, pull it out from the wall a bit and put in a shelter not unlike the bb test vault.

Bob made the below notes in May. Greg will take the lead on monument install (which may be simply assigning tasks) after successful bid is in hand. He'll let Bob know when the comm etc, plan is finalized.

McCarty ground heave PVC is nearly touching the I-beam. Its 3 feet long and needs to be repositioned to better center the monument.

IT person at STLE asked about the comm. Need to get this going or at least establish the footprint.

Camp Robinson needs a radome. Bob Wurth will be in Little Rock the week of August 20. He'll be in Memphis first. Greg and James will show him what to do and provide directions and contacts.

Have one bid for the monuments for the two new stations. Note these are a much more complex tripod style installation than the I-beam method of all the others.


Install 2 new sites
	Select exact site
		LCHS - done
		New Markham - approx
	Get bids for monument
		Someone to supervise monument installation
		Someone to buy remaining supplies for monument installation
		Someone to weld monument after driller installed
	Build 2 boxes
	Spec solar requirements
	Lightning protection
	Install - monument then GPS and comms equipment

Upgrade/maint remaining sites
	Install SCIGN domes on all sites (excuse to visit each one - plan so can do all 
other upgrades, etc. needed)
	Communicaiton at LHCS (immediately brings NWCC online)
		How to get power and internet (wire) to base of tower
		Internet service*
		Lightning protection
	Upgrade at RLAP
		Find burried stuff
		Solar (5 watts for 2 weeks)
		Install box on tower
		Install comms on tower (need LCHS up and running first,may or may not 
make it back without repeat through New Markham)
		Lightning protection
	Communications at STLE
		Select antenna site at School
		Run cables
		Install Freewave
		Power and antenna at STLE
		Internet service*
		Lightning protection
	Communications at CJTR
		Replace modem
		Investigate how to get on internet (Freewave to somewhere)
		Pay for DSL phone line?
	Communications at MAIR
		Find internet point of presence where we can piggyback


* confirm that contact at internet point of presense understands that we need to connect to 
the GPS receiver/our router from outside has to be a public interent address.

James provided this list of things to do:

  1. Install PVC ducts at all sites to better channel airflow inside the enclosures.
  2. Buy more fans. Existing enclosures will need 60x60x25mm 12VDC fans. Greg has the part numbers. The new sites (NMKM and LCHS) may use larger fans as space permits. STLE may get a larger fan if its enclosure is replaced with a larger one.
  3. MCTY's PVC isolation at the monument has shifted and is almost touching the monument. This is a 3' section of PVC in the ground, and will need to be dug-up and repositioned such that it's evenly spaced from the monument.
  4. Dennis Prince and the guys at the STLE schools are wondering when we'll install the radio link at the school. We have the hardware to do this now - we just need to set a date for it. The key problem is getting the antenna coax into the administration building from the roof.
  5. Chris has been talking about making more permanent shade for CVMS, STLE, NMKM, and other sites using louvered enclosures. He or Bill will be making these from plans provided by Greg.
  6. NMKM - Chris has scouted a location for the enclosure, antenna mast, and power run for New Markham. Pics were taken and provided at the meeting. Plans for this are still evolving and subject to change. See Chris and Greg for current info.
  7. It's still not clear if NWCC will make a successful radio link back to New Markham, but Greg sez there's no point in testing until the antenna mast is up at New Markham. IF NWCC can't reach NMKM directly, it will need to be repeated through LCHS, instead.
  8. LCHS' radio needs a permanent power solution. Chris has scouted this and will need to run wire and conduit. Greg suggests using fiber for communication between the GPS station LCHS and the radio, but a route must be chosen to run the fiber. He has some routes in mind.
  9. CJTR still needs its radome swapped and modem installed. Bob Wurth might be able to take a modem and new config file for CJTR's receiver to install on-site. I'll provide the modem and config file.


Station Maintenance

Van Hill gate got bull dozed. Need to replace it when they're done working.
Next trip will be CCNC install and repair at GFM and TRYN. Tentative date is July 9-13.
Still might be a problem at SMNC.
TZTN needs a gate.
MTTN upgrade complete.
NEIC requested John's help in siting the Campobello station (northeast South Carolina). He found a state park willing to host it. Need to collect some noise.
NEIC decided to fix Murphy.
BRBC needs a new XLAK GPS antenna. Jim has spares. Greg has a lead on a new cheaper vendor and will test.

Network Completion

The map shows stations with yellow triangles being new ones.
SMNC4done (see note above)
BHT8move (eventually)

Also need to do Maryville and LRVA. John will do Taylorsville, NC himself. Next ET trip tentatively scheduled for September 10.

Routine Maintenance Kudzu, battery check, etc, etc.

Second Tier Priorities

CVTN and ASAR optical isolation. Need to upgrade to year 3 hardware. Hardware ready.
CVTN is awaiting a new ip. Done, back.
NAIT is the only non-real-time station. Wish to get it online. Might be able to hit Richardson from there.
NWS has new ups. They would like us to plug into that and remove our ups from beneath the rack. Bill will take care of it.

Lenox Agreement. We have new contact info. Mitch will see if a new MOU is desired.

FDL. There is a new FDL Policy. .
Bill reports that his laptop works well with the equipment but the others do not. Steve will show him how to get the others set up like his.
Steve has boot floppies and instructions for downloading data from the multi-channel seismograph without using the NT domain (which is defunct). The images and instructions are also available at /gaia/data/fdl/strataview.boot.floppy.

As Time Permits

3890 Power Chris is going to make a diagram for 3890. Good luck son.

Inventory Jim has all the broadband sensors defined and is working on additional equipment (e.g. isis) and the connections. Mitch will install Bill's account in mysql and inv so he can start building stations. Mitch needs to sit down with Jim and figure out what we need to have ISTI help us with. Sid will be available after about mid-May to finish up anything we need his help to take care of. Apparently the downloaded docs from guralp for the cmg5td's have the old +-4g contants. Mitch has paper documentation with the correct +-2g constants.

Steiner Brain Dump Seminar Need more of them as weather permits. Especially calibration.


SLU BB Stations. UTM is roughed in. Wurth needs to complete.
Poplar Bluff is done. The E/W channel in the sensor is bad so it needs to be replaced. Mitch will find out the scn and get them to add it to the ew export.

Thin-wire aironets are no longer available. This will be a problem for the DBB. It will need to be addressed hopefully later rather than sooner.

All hardware is in house to replace the node computers in the coming year. We'll upgrade to ew v7.1 at the same time. This means we'll be using scnl instead of just scn. Steve, Al, and Mitch are working on the details (headaches) of that. Glasworm is the converter and is operational with the new switches.
Note that the new MTTN node pc is the exception. We're not ready for it to be scnlized yet.

MPHB. Withers needs to determine current orientation so we can pull it and orient correctly.

There are a plethora of preventive maintenance type things around CERI that Greg handles. He will construct a list of them so we can decide who is doing what.

The infrasound array at the Langston farm was designed with a life of 6 months. It is not currently operational. Chuck would like to get it working again and possibly install others elsewhere. Probably need a redesign and rebuild for this to put back the corners that were cut for the temporary deployment.

Need to teach someone (our hazmat dude?) to neutralize etchant and clean the etching tanks. Along those same lines, Greg has a ton of drawings that play only with the "Eagle" software on his computer. Mitch is unaware of a way to convert to a more generic format. Also require a printer that does negative (the one on Greg's serial port does, others do not). Mitch knew this dependence on vendor specific software would bite us one day. That day is soon.

Pink Palace hardware needs to be rebuilt.

John needs a spectrum analyzer. Ugh, beats me where that money (about $10k) will come from.