Tech Staff Meeting Notes February 6, 2007

Current Top Priorities are:Station Maintenance. (Also wish to get INV populated.)

There are four levels of priority.
PrioritiesWish to try to get these done (or make progress on) before the next meeting (yeah right)
Second TierFit this in too if an opportunity arises. May be good to do instead of priorities but check with Mitch. Likely to be a priority in a previous and/or subsequent month
As Time PermitsFit these in when you can but not instead of first or second priorities
OtherStuff we hope to get to and don't want to forget about

This task list as of September 12, 2006. Note that everyone is still needed to work on essentially all tasks. There is however, a single person who is primarily responsible for each one. Mitch of course, is ultimately responsible for everything.

Fourth Annual Feast of Flesh will be Friday February 23, 2007 at 6:30 at the Butcher Shop on Germantown Road. John will be in Memphis February 19-24. Flight is scheduled to arrive 2:40pm monday and Chris will pick him up. Topics to cover include:


Station Maintenance, NMSZ
Jim noted that the /stations page is out of date and in several cases, wrong
Previous notes report that 7 stations contained many glitches and were removed from the trigger groups on mainworm. Only RDGT appears to be this way so we'll add them back in and see how it goes. The issue with the grounding problem (or lack of it) between bottom of the ISIS canister and the copper springs appears to have magically dissappeared. Possible something shook things up to reestablish the ground. I bet it reappears some day.
The signal strength at lnxt and mkta is deteriorated which could be causing alot of the problems in the bad channel list. The receivers are drifting and we need a wholesale general retuning.
Bad Channel List 20070206:
Channel is Out
Sporadic Outages
Drifting/Harmonic Problem ??

Lenox Agreement. Need to verify that we'll still have use of the SCA with new occupants.

Planning to purchase new receivers for all stations (some are quite old).
Power was turned off at the Steele site and it is unknown if or when it will be restored. Current plan is to convert it to solar using 1 100ah battery and 1 120W panel (about 28" by 4'). Assuming a station draws 4W this should provide about 4-7 days backup. It'll work but is probably pushing it over the dreary months and there may be outages and battery life may be reduced.
Freewaves are on order and should arrive next week.
Have permission to move everything (except the mount of course) to the beacon tower at Reelfoot. Antenna needs to stay below the beacon (should provide around 40 to 50 feet elevation. Previously had planned to repeat through New Markum (a new station John Paul's putting in) and on into Tiptonville H.S. On the beacon tower, might be able to make it without the repeat. This is going to require a long heavy wire with very careful and robust lightning protection.


Station Maintenance

SMNC frequencies were changed. There is an additional problem. What is it?
CCRT has a large dc offset (permanently in the lowest gain setting) which causes trace to appear flat unless data are visually magnified. Also causes premature saturation on one side. Unfortunately the park is closed until April.
TZTN needs a gate and the gps antenna swapped. Have the antenna.
GFM has a cable problem. Will visit in the spring.
Have some Lexan and batteries to give John.
MGNC appears to be experiencing some kind of interference.
John's spectrum analyzer is unfixable and was obsolesced. Prefer to wait til the end of the budget year (fall or winter) to replace it. Will have to take the one from Memphis when needed.

Network Completion

The map shows stations with yellow triangles being new ones.
SMNC4done (see note above)
BHT8move (eventually)

GPS pods changed at ADSC and TRSC. SHTN is the only one left. Done.
CVTN and ASAR optical isolation. Need to upgrade to year 3 hardware. Hardware ready. James brought back some nice pictures from CVTN to help figure out how to do it (e.g. the conduit is way too small).
CUSEC now has business class DSL and an ip address for CUET. May need to get a switch to hang between the dsl router and the mss100. Steve will visit to determine hardware needs. Done and online.
That leaves NAIT as the only non-real-time station. Wish to get it online in 2007. Might be able to hit Richardson from there.

Routine Maintenance.

Second Tier Priorities

Steiner Brain Dump Seminar Held the first one in January. Mitch concedes defeat attempting to automagically create a written document from the voice recorder. We're exceeding the design specs by recording an entire room of people. Jim made a video which is the better way to go. Next one is tentatively scheduled for week of Feb 12 if weather is bad enough to prevent assisting SLU station relocating.

FDL. Got the new laptops. These are the rules:
They will all be configured exactly the same. Old laptops will be obsolesced NOT retasked. Each of the new ones will have a primary purpose (though if they're all the same, they should be able to fill all other purposes in a pinch):

  1. Aftershock deployments
  2. Environmental Geophysics Class
  3. Sundry other field work (e.g. mag, grav, etc)
  4. Bench
Presumably 1 and 4 could be secondary for each other and 2 and 3 could be secondary for each other.

3890 Power Chris is going to make a diagram for 3890. Good luck son.

As Time Permits

Generators Old generator needs an exhaust pipe.

Inventory Jim has all the broadband sensors defined and is working on additional equipment (e.g. isis) and the connections. Mitch will install Bill's account in mysql and inv so he can start building stations. Mitch needs to sit down with Jim and figure out what we need to have ISTI help us with.


All hardware is in house to replace the node computers in the coming year. We'll upgrade to ew v7.1 at the same time. This means we'll be using scnl instead of just scn. Steve, Al, and Mitch are working on the details (headaches) of that. Glasworm is the converter and is operational. New switches for the scnl trace-wire are in house. Steve will install.

I-40 Bridge.
Greg will arrange and supervise regrading of HDBT. The regrading was started and there were, shall we say, problems (more like a CF). Hopefully the contractor will have better luck next time. Chris is arranging to have a fence installed (after any pad, gravel or whatever is installed). Cost is $1100 installed (must be real silver). We don't want to do it ourselves since it has to tie into the existing dilapidated fence.

MPHB. Withers needs to determine current orientation so we can pull it and orient correctly. Helicorders look strange. Need to verify the data. Recentered, data are fine now.

VBMS. ASL crew will install sensor, das, and vsat in November. Problems with the VSAT carrier delayed installation...the saga continues.

There is a new chair at ASU in Jonesboro and he's interested in getting a modern display for Laredo. Mitch is deciding what to do.

Brent Rosenblad from Mizzou (?) wishes to perform active source reflection profiles at 8-10 sites again this year.

Greg will be with Wurth next week (week of feb 12) to investigate resiting carbondale and ut martin. Herrmann has some specific ideas about where he wants them to go to get more quiet installations. There are 3 other stations (little rock and two new ones) that they need help with and need finished by April.