Tech Staff Meeting Notes May 23, 2006

Current Top Priorities are:Station Maintenance, Broadband Upgrade, NC Node

There are four levels of priority.
PrioritiesWish to try to get these done (or make progress on) before the next meeting (yeah right)
Second TierFit this in too if an opportunity arises. May be good to do instead of priorities but check with Mitch. Likely to be a priority in a previous and/or subsequent month
As Time PermitsFit these in when you can but not instead of first or second priorities
OtherStuff we hope to get to and don't want to forget about

This redistributed task list agreed to at the November meeting. Note that everyone is still needed to work on essentially all tasks. There is however, a single person who is primarily responsible for each one. Mitch of course, is ultimately responsible for everything.

Greg's March ToDo List
is only partially incorporated into this rest of this page.

Neither Greg nor John were able to be at this meeting.


BB network upgrade.
Huddle tests are in progress and several sensors were blessed by Greg. See Mitch's PDF webpage for results.
MKTA node is done. LPAR and HBAR appear to be working well. Need to swap sensors at GNAR.
NMAD node is after that (need telem plan).
FIFO mode in the dm24's will be configured to overwrite oldest (as opposed to write once). If we lose comm, this will cause loss of the oldest data. The thinking is these are broadband stations not strongmo so if given the Solomonic choice, prefer to sacrifice the oldest to save the youngest.
Be sure to contact Mitch, Steve, or Al when a when doing a specific station so mods to the earthworm and to the instrument response files can be modified appropriately. We're going from 6 channels to 3 and the digitizer constant will change.

Here is a fresh set of notes from James. Need to make sure we give him assistance when he needs it.

MACC/CJTR - These are our two most distant sites (N Little Rock, AR, Park Hills, MO). We normally only get to each once a year, and they'll both need standard maintenance (batteries, case inspection, etc). I'll need Chris McGoldrick along for CJTR since he knows the layout there. Bill can help with MACC. Both these projects should likely wait until July.
MAIR - Our steel enclosure at the Mississippi County Airport is rusting and needs to be replaced. This will be a two man job, at least. Bob needs to order the replacement enclosure, first, so we'll need to let you know when we're ready to proceed. This should be done before August. We've also got a lead on wireless Internet based in East Prairie, MO, and I've called to inquire about it. I'm still waiting for an email with equipment details before determining if we can get similar equipment for cheaper. Bob will need to give approval before we pursue this as a means of getting MAIR online.
RLAP - Our receiver at the Reelfoot Air Park needs to be placed back inside the terminal building. This project can wait until later this year, but should be completed before November.
CERI - We need to get an antenna setup here at CERI for GPS research and testing. I'm considering an antenna mount at the Grad Building that can take at least two antennas. This is an upcoming project without more solid details. Again, we'll need to let you know when we need help with this.


The map shows stations with yellow triangles being new ones.
BRBC node is installed and operating. MGNC is being recorded. Two channels of RBNC are functioning. The only thing left to do is take care of the building ground strap if Blue Ridge Broadcasting doesn't.
We will assume all stations essentially require a new installation. Reuse parts if and only if they are in very good condition. Also, a Memphis crew will be assisting with all installations.
Excluding Prep and Travel, Jim estimates 40 additional man-days to complete. We will abandon PLVA and considering moving GFM to Grandmother mountain in the distant future, in the meantime it is worth getting GFM going again. Ideally we'll have 4 people working together unless Jim and Bill get pulled away for work on the BB upgrade.
Al needs someone at BRBC node to help test remote reset.

Continued problems with mss100's losing connectivity (SMOC: simple matter of connectivity). The good news is Jim verified that the stations are still working when SMOC is lost.
SWET-3H52, ADSC-5657, and CSTN-5637 need to have the leap second corrected. SHTN-5648 and TRSC-5662 might also but need a site visit to verify.
Need to upgrade trimble firmware to avoid leap second error next time. A workable upgrade procedure doesn't yet exist. Jim, Wurth, and DTA or working on it. Done.
CVTN and ASAR optical isolation. Need to upgrade to year 3 hardware. Hardware ready. James brought back some nice pictures from CVTN to help figure out how to do it (e.g. the conduit is way too small).

Routine Maintenance. Jim knows what to do.

Second Tier Priorities

Enclosure for external HVAC pieces on the east of 3904 was started and stalled. Need to finish this up and get rid of the two parking spaces worth of gravel.

Need to follow up on ATV training and helmet(s).

NCCU Gordana Vlahovic is getting a cmg6td to install at North Carolina Central University. John worked out a plan with her. Greg worked up a hardware cost estimate and Mitch faxed it so they can generate a PO.

SWET Upgrade This has gone no where since last time. Bran Potter sent a list of power options. Alena gave some specs for solar operation. Looks like the best way is to do a low voltage feed like TZTN. Should we use VSAT? Still need to somehow provide real-time wiggle display in the Geology building.

Steiner Brain Dump Seminar Beginning this summer, Greg will be giving a weekly non-credit seminar. It will primarily be for the tech staff and will cover all the knowledge we need to pass from Greg to other staff. Others at CERI will be welcome to participate if they wish. Preferred time is Mondays at 9. This will start sometime in mid-May. Send ideas on what to want to learn about to Greg.

FDL. Mitch needs to yank Paul's chain to get an account number for new laptops.

As Time Permits

I-40 Bridge.
This project is in O&M mode--no more development. Al will need to clean off the recorder disks every other week. We can't afford to spend anymore time improving at the expense of other projects. Hence we will attempt to keep it going as best we can. Doesn't work too bad given all the possible points of failure.


Got the modem and internet works. Need to integrate into CERI central processing.

MPHB. Withers needs to determine current orientation so we can pull it and orient correctly. Helicorders look strange. Need to verify the data.

VBMS. Greg will visit for vault installation around June 1.

Langston student projects continue. See Greg's list above.